Friday, April 30, 2010

Almost Crab Salad


Many years ago I found a recipe for shrimp pasta salad in one of my cooking magazines. It looked and sounded good for a lighter summer meal. So I went looking through my freezer for shrimp which I could have sworn I had some on hand. Of course there were none, the only "seafood" I could find was imitation crab meat that I had bought in case I ever came across a recipe that would use it.


I figured I might as well try to use it in this salad and needless to say, it's been years. I've never made the original with shrimp since we've been in love with this salad ever since the first time I made it. Many times this is my go-to salad on a busy day since I can make it early in the morning and just let it hang out in the fridge till dinner time. I serve this often as a main dish with just a crusty loaf of bread and fruit (like watermelon) on the side.


The salad has a wonderful flavor combination brought on by the sweetness of the peas and the imitation crab. It also has a little bit of crunch from the green onions and a wonderful tart, creamy dressing that is enhanced with lemon juice and dill.

This salad is a great salad for those hot, busy days, I hope you give it a try!


Almost Crab Salad

Ingredients:
1 pound small pasta shells, cooked and drained
1 1/2 cups (12 ounces) frozen peas
3/4 cup green onions, finely sliced
1/4 cup fresh parsley, minced
2 tablespoons fresh chives, minced
3/4 cup (6 ounces) plain yogurt*
1/2 cup sour cream*
1 cup mayonnaise*
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup fresh dill, minced
Salt and Pepper to taste

* Low-fat yogurt, sour cream and mayo can be used with equally good results

Directions:
In a large bowl, combine the pasta, imitation crab, peas, onions, parsley, and chives.

In a small bowl, combine the yogurt, sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Pour over pasta mixture and toss gently. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.

7 comments:

  1. I'm not even a sea-food fan and you're making me want this!
    My husband and son would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Susi,

    My first time here and I am impressed - such a lovely colorful blog with so many delish pictures. Was scolling randomly and love the looks of strawberry tiramisu, lemon tart and the better than restaurant coleslaw.

    Please dont give up, you re doing a great job :-) will come back more often :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grapefruit - that's always good if a recipe makes you want to try it and you usually don't care for the ingredients LOL

    Zlamushka - thank you for your kind words :o) I'm glad you enjoyed looking through the blog, I'm looking forward to seeing you on here again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really delicious. It does sound like it would make a perfect summer meal!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so up my alley, I'm amazed I haven't already made it yet! This will be on next week's lunch plan. I love bringing stuff like this to work. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I finally made this yesterday and enjoyed it for lunch today. LOVE IT! I would also love it with shrimp so I might try that some time as well. I didn't have fresh spices so I used dried, 1/3 of the amount called for. I'm sure it's even better with fresh. Thank you for sharing--I will def make again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great Share!

    First off, congratulations on this post. If You are searching for latest government jobs in India. Vacancysquare provides you upcoming government jobs information like - Railway, Police, Banking Job, Defense, SSC, UPSC, UPSSSC, teacher jobs and other department for state and central government job. This bucket list for you to know the right jobs detail.

    This is really awesome but that's what you always crank out my friend. Reading your story got my face leaking and my heart singing. Find qualification based government job and vacancies with employment news at: "www.vacancysquare.com". Also check govt jobs, private jobs, latest jobs, teacher jobs, bank jobs, railway jobs, police jobs, UPSC jobs, SSC jobs, UPSSSC jobs, sarkari result with employment news.

    Great posts we can share to our users. Check the latest government job vacancies, upcoming government Indian jobs, latest notifications for government jobs, today government jobs notifications or sarkari naukri now. Just visit our website www.vacancysquare.com to get your dream job notification today.

    Get a complete information about Government jobs in India, Latest jobs in India, admit card, exams, results, answer key, admission and syllabus of Govt Indian jobs.

    If you are interested in free guest post, advertising with us, writing for us and paid guest post service to contact us & about OR visit on our job notification portal www.vacancysquare.com.

    All the best, I’m excited to watch your journey! Keep it works and share your amazing thoughts.

    Great share and thanks again for the mention here,

    Thanks and Regards!
    Priya Singh.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails