Friday, June 11, 2010

Ice Cream Fridays: Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream


Welcome to another edition of Ice Cream Fridays. Every Friday during the next few months (or until I get tired of it) you can look forward to a new ice cream recipe which will hopefully inspire you to break out your old dust covered ice cream maker that is hiding somewhere in a closet (yes, I'm talking about you). Since I'm always looking for inspiration and ideas, feel free to leave me a comment here on my blog or on my facebook page, and let me know what ice cream flavor you would like to see. Who knows, you might just get lucky and it will be featured the following week.

This week's featured ice cream was a little tougher to come up with. If you read my blog on a regular basis you have probably recognized the "south of the border" theme this week.  In true fashion, I wanted my ice cream pick to reflect this as well. I kept going back and forth between a few different ice creams, but in the end the Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream won out, and boy am I ever glad I chose it.


This ice cream is one of the top 10 chocolate ice creams I have ever eaten in my entire life. It is creamy and satiny, has a wonderful rich chocolate flavor along with a slight hint of cinnamon, and it goes down oh so smooth. All of a sudden, it hits you, and you feel a little bit of heat in the back of your throat, but it is good, oh my is it ever good, in a fire and ice kind of way, it's simply amazing. You are probably thinking right now that cinnamon couldn't possibly be the source of the heat, and I'm saying you are correct! So, what leaves you with this warm feeling of spice that keeps you wanting more and more, and wondering what the secret to this incredible recipe is? It is................. chile powder.

At this point you are most likely thinking no way am I going to make this ice cream, but don't knock it, until you've tried it. It is truly one of the most amazing flavor combinations. The key to this frozen dessert are top notch ingredients. Don't use a cheap chocolate, buy a good quality one like Lindt, Godiva or even splurge on Scharffen Berger. So, please, please, please, do not use that old chile powder spice jar that you've had in your pantry for the last 3 years (you know who you are). Do yourself a "flavor" and purchase a fresh one, you will thank me later.


The ice cream is just as quick and easily made as the last few I have featured here on Ice Cream Fridays. The only difference is that you bring the cream, sugar and cocoa powder to a boil before adding the chocolate to melt (no custard making required). Milk and vanilla get added before mixing in the spices and finally giving it a good whirl in a blender will assure the smooth consistency of the finished confection.

Oh, and go ahead and make this ice cream this weekend, invite a few friends over and have a fiesta. Ole!


Aztec "Hot" Chocolate Ice Cream

Ingredients:
2 1/4 cup (560 ml) heavy cream
6 tablespoons (50g) unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
3/4 cup (150 g) sugar
3 ounces (85 g) semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/4 cup (310 ml) whole milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
1 1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 to 3 teaspoons chile powder
2 tablespoons brandy

Directions:
Whisk together the cream, cocoa powder, and sugar in a large saucepan. Heat the mixture, whisking frequently, until it comes to full, rolling boil (it will start to foam up).

Remove from the heat and add the chocolate, then whisk until it is completely melted. Stir in the milk, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, chile powder, and brandy.

Pour the mixture into a blender and blend for 20 seconds, until very smooth.

Chill the mixture thoroughly in the refrigerator, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Adapted from: The Perfect Scoop


15 comments:

  1. This is great. I love the whole spicy chocolate thing they do in Mexico.

    That pepper plate? Freaking adorable.

    The jibe about the old spices cracked me up - I do indeed have some ancient spices in my cabinet, I'll admit it. I'm pretty sure the marjoram is as old as I am. I don't even know what marjoram is for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always write the date I open spices that way I never use old stuff. That ice cream looks great.

    You wouldn't by any chance have a recipe for Mamey ice cream? My Cuban father in law wants me to make some and I can't find a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mw - the comment about the marjoram cracked me up. I do use marjoram in some of my German recipes so stay tuned for some of those in the future but do yourself a favor and get rid of it ;o)

    M @ Betty Crapper - I write the date on some of my spices (the ones I don't use as often) but spices like oregano, basil, chile powder, cumin etc. I go through waaaaay too quickly to keep a date on it.
    Unfortunately I don't have a Mamey recipe but I know Goya sells the fruit pulp of the Mamey fruit in little pouches http://www.goya.com/english/product_subcategory/Frozen-Foods/Fruit-Pulps which then in turn you could just mix into a sorbet or simple ice cream base and go from there. I know it might not be quite the same but unless you know of a grocer that sells the fresh fruit I wouldn't even know where to begin searching. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live in Miami. My father in law has mamey sapote trees in his yard. I know it can be hard to find the fruit in most parts of the country. It's great to know Goya sells the fruit pulp. I didn't know that.

    My mother tells me stories of eating helado de mamey in Cuba as a girl. I just wish I could find an authentic recipe for it. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds wonderful. I love hot and sweet combinations.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susi, I thought I had your email address but I don't and I can't see it on your blog. Would you mail me at Rocquie@gmail.com so I'll have it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is now on my 'Ice Cream To Do' list. I hate chocolate ice cream, but this sounds so much better than ordinary chocolate. I love that it has a spicy kick, and I love even more that it has cinnamon! I'm a cinnamon nut :) Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks incredible. I love a little spice with my chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just received "The Perfect Scoop" but I think I will let you make them first and enjoy the pictures! I made the Oatmeal Raisin and love it. This may be next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica - I usually chose ice cream with a white base over chocolate (even though I love eating regular chocolate) but this one is truly amazing. I do hope you try it!

    Jenna - thank you :o)

    Kel - Isn't the book incredible? So far I've not been disappointed with one single recipe and his instructions are so easy to follow compared to a lot of ice cream books out there. Wasn't the oatmeal raisin one divine?

    ReplyDelete
  11. How gorgeous is that. The man, himself, couldn't take better pictures. I am really impressed. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mary - thank you so much for your kind words :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks delicious! I'm new here and so glad I found this recipe! Love your twist with the chili powder and can't wait to get out the ice cream maker and go for it! The chili powder doesn't have a chance of getting old in my spice cabinet ~ just wish it were true with the others. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. p.s. I've given you an award. Come and get it:
    http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great recipe. Love the combination of spicy and sweet. I will have to try this one. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment and make my day

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails